Ion specializes in commercial, civil and administrative litigation, as well as in international commercial arbitration. Recognized as one of Moldova’s leading arbitrators and litigators, he has worked on numerous arbitrations cases in Moldova and throughout Europe, both as a litigator as well as a member of various arbitration panels.
Over the last few years, he has acted as an arbitrator for dozens of cases, including under the International Chamber of Commerce (Paris) rules as well as part of the International Commercial Arbitration Court attached to the Chamber of Commerce and Industry of the Republic of Moldova. Besides acting as an arbitrator in Moldova, Ion has arbitrated cases in Geneva, Rome and Berlin.
Ion is a leader and expert in sports disputes, telecommunication issues, civil engineering cases and transportation arbitration. He is the Deputy President of the International Commercial Arbitration Court attached to Chamber of Commerce and Industry of Republic of Moldova (CICA) and Chairman of the Law and Arbitration Commission of the National Olympic Committee. In addition, Ion is also a permanent listed arbitrator for the Chisinau International Court of Commercial Arbitration attached to the American Chamber of Commerce in Moldova (CACIC), for the International Commercial Arbitration Court attached to the International Association of Road Transporters (AITA) and for the International Court of Arbitration at the Chamber of Commerce and Industry of Kyrgyzstan.
In addition to his litigation and arbitration practice, Ion has a strong academic background and is currently a Lecturer of International Private Law and of International Commercial Arbitration at the Moldovan State University Law School. From 1998 to 2002, Ion was a Researcher and Interim Director of the Institute of Scientific Research for Law at Moldova State University.
Ion has written many articles for publication, including:
- „Dreptul internaţional privat. Note de curs”, V.Băeşu, I.Căpăţînă, Garuda-Art Editions, 2000, Chişinău.
- „Despre unele aspecte ale ordinii publice în dreptul internaţional privat şi clauzei ordinii publice în legislaţia actuală a Republicii Moldova şi noul Cod Civil”, Analele ştiinţifice ale Universităţii de Stat din Moldova, 2002, Chisinau, Moldova
- “Reforma instituţională a autorităţilor judecătoreşti”, I.Căpăţînă, V. Şterbeţ, E.Fistican, I.Serbinov, in the common edition Evaluarea necesităţilor Sistemului judecătoresc din Republica Moldova. – Chişinău, Central Typography, 2006.
- Arbitrator in a disputed between two telecommunications companies from Moldova and Germany. A Moldovan Law arbitration, the arbitration was in Geneva, Switzerland. Value of the case was over Euro 3 million;
- Arbitrator for a dispute between Italian and German telecom companies with Italian law applicable. Value of the case was over Euro 600,000;
- an Arbitration between a Moldovan wine producer and a Belarusian wine distributor, Ion acted as Arbitrator in this Moldovan law case. Value of the case was over Euro 3 million;
- Arbitrator for a telecoms dispute between Swiss and German companies. A German law case, the arbitration was in Berlin, Germany. Dispute value was over Euro 1 million;
- Co-Arbitrator in an arbitration between a Ukrainian metallurgical company and a Russian distributor. Ukrainian Law applicable. Language: Russian. Seat: Dnepropetrovsk, Ukraine. Claims exceeded over Euro 400,000;
- Co-Arbitrator in an arbitration between a Ukrainian metallurgical company and a Russian distributor. Value of the case was over Euro 1,000,000;
- Co-Arbitrator in an arbitration between a South-Korean car manufacturer and Bulgarian car dealer. A Bulgarian law case litigated in Sofia, Bulgaria, the value of the claim was over Euro 200,000.
- LL.B, Moldova State University, Chisinau, Moldova
- PhD candidate in International Private Law – Academy of Science of Moldova, Institute of History State and Law, Subject: "Application of Foreign Law by the Courts"
- Industrial and Economic College of Chisinau, Moldova (Legal Studies)
- 1994 (Moldovan Bar)
Tel: +373 22 26 09 22