Charles specialises in mergers and acquisitions, real estate transactions and corporate finance. He has extensive experience in M&A and real estate matters and during the last several years has completed billions of dollars in such transactions in Eastern Europe.
He has represented major oil companies, retail operators, port operators, hotels, mining companies and telecommunication firms in relation to a series of mergers, acquisitions and divestitures, including advising on asset and share acquisitions, project financings, competition matters, privatizations, concession agreements, group restructurings, litigation, and post-acquisition operations and activities.
Charles has also advised a variety of borrowers and banks in lending transactions including syndications and bonds. During the course of his finance work, Charles has represented some of world’s largest banks and financial institutions in Romania, Slovakia and the Middle East.
Recent experience includes:
- acted for the sellers in the divestiture of Romania’s second largest hypermarket chain;
- represented one of the world’s largest container port operators with its acquisition of a Black Sea container port
- assisted an international hotel operator in the acquisition of one of Bucharest’s largest hotels from the State Ownership Fund;
- represented a large UK agricultural group with a series of large farm acquisitions, including several publically traded companies as well as advising on financing and securitization of such transactions;
- assisted a large Romanian telecommunication company on the divestiture of its cable television subsidiary;
- acted for a world leading oil company in the merger of its lubricants business;
- acted for sell-side in relation to the divestiture of Eastern Europe’s largest independent paper company; and
- assisted Romania’s largest telecommunications company before the Competition Council and before the courts in relation to an alleged breach of the competition rules. The case was one of the largest in Romanian history.
- advised on Romania’s largest inter-city real estate development, including assisting with site assembly, concession issues, construction agreements/bids and negotiations with the local city council;
- represented the UK’s largest retailer in relation to its expansion and development of hypermarkets, including assisting with land acquisition and construction matters;
- acted as general counsel to Romania’s largest real estate developer (and mall operator) on a variety of issues and matters, including financing, land acquisitions, bids, construction agreements and design work.
- advised a world-leading bank on its corporate offices and branches, including assisting them in relation to a series of commercial leases and acquisitions;
- assisted a U.S. independent oil company on oil concession agreements as well as company formation and organizational issues; and
- advised on the possible acquisition of Tractorul in Brasov in relation to developing its large real estate holdings.