Mihai specializes in M&A transactions and corporate governance matters. He advises local and international clients regularly on complex regulatory, commercial and corporate transactions and issues. Recent work includes corporate restructurings, joint ventures and shareholders agreements, as well as sale purchase agreements and other M&A documentation.
A Certified Compliance and Ethics Professional (CCEP-I), Mihai is the law firm’s senior associate in relation to various compliance reviews and internal investigations, including working on several investigations making “front page” news in Romania. He has worked for a variety of industries, including IT, insurance, pharma, banking, non-financial institutional payment processing and auto retail. Almost all of his work required him (and the law firm) to be reporting to client’s senior compliance officials and/or corporate legal counsel.
Mihai has also advised on the implementation of data protection rules and procedures in light of the changes imposed by the EU General Data Protection Regulation. His work has included the assessment of personal data processes and related risks within organizations, the evaluation of the effectiveness of the organization’s privacy related policies and safeguards, as well as the development and implementation of strategies to improve such policies and procedures.
- assisted Romania’s leading steel pipe manufacturer with regard to various corporate matters, including with its delisting from the Bucharest Stock Exchange and the merger by absorption with one of its subsidiaries (Romania’s largest steel mill).
- assisted an international online payment service company on the sale of their Romanian business (consisting of two companies - market leaders in the bill payment industry) to a large international investment fund.
- Assisted the leading company in Israel’s plastics industry on its withdrawal from the Romanian market and subsequent dissolution and liquidation of its Romanian subsidiaries.
- assisted the Romanian subsidiary of a world-leading solar module manufacturer with regard to various corporate governance matters.
- assisted various clients from numerous industries on corporate governance matters, compliance and company formation issues (including the drafting of corporate minutes, amending the registered capital and so on), as well as amendments and modifications to corporate documentation.
- assisted world leading IT company with regard to internal investigations, including reviewing and determining if key senior employees/members of the management bodies of such company have been involved in corrupt and illicit practices, as well as organizational misconduct (that is, violations of applicable laws, regulations, policies and procedures). This included assessing if such potential misconduct had any impact on government projects/bids/tenders.
- assisted an UK insurance firm with regard to investigating possible fraudulent claims related to illegitimate insurance policies (amount in controversy was over Euro 10 million).
- assisted a Turkish company in conducting an internal investigation and due diligence review with regards to the possible malfeasance and suspicious activities of its Romanian subsidiary’s past management and its consequences to the subsidiary’s business.
- assisted clients in investigations of possible violations of the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act (FCPA) and matters before the Romanian investigation bodies, such as the anti-corruption authority (the DNA) and the Directorate for Investigating Organized Crime & Terrorism (DIICOT).
- assisted various clients in relation to the review and revision of personal data processing programs and implementing such programs in compliance with the GDPR. Clients include a well-known auto parts distributor, a top Agro-business in Romania, one of the region’s largest pharmaceuticals companies, as well as a large Austrian insurance company.
- carrying-out data protection audits and advising on the set-up of a data protection organisational frameworks, including data transfers outside the EEA.
- assisted the Romanian subsidiary of an international manufacturer of solutions for telecom providers in relation to investigating, assessing and documenting a personal data breach.
- general day-to-day data protection law advice to various clients.
- LLB, University of Bucharest, Romania
- LLM, European Union Law, University of Bucharest, Romania
- Certified Compliance and Ethics Professional (CCEP-I)
- 2014 (Bucharest Bar)
Tel: +40 (0) 728 808 085