Roman specializes in banking and finance, employment law and corporate and commercial matters. Over the last few years he has worked for a variety of banks and financial institutions, including advising on several bank expansion projects for various international banking groups. In addition, he has advised numerous lenders and borrowers with regard to financing matters, including significant work in commodities, trade finance and securitization.
Prior to coming to Vernon | David, Roman worked for the Moldovan Ministry of Justice’s Foreclosure and Enforcement Department where he was involved in drafting and revising substantive and procedural national legislation on the subject of debt recovery and collections (working in both Russian and Romanian). In this role, he played a major part in the drafting of a number of pieces of legislation and internal government regulations with regard to enforcement procedures.
Roman’s commercial work includes advising clients on mergers and acquisitions, general contracting matters (like distribution and agency agreements) as well as on intellectual property issues.
In addition, Roman served as a local consultant helping implement UNICEF’s Program for the Protection of Children in collaboration with the Moldova Ministry of Justice. In this role, he drafted a number of legislative proposals and implementing regulations concerning the detention of and probation for juvenile offenders.
- assisted a series of Swiss financial institutions, such as ING Switzerland, Banque Cantonale de Geneve, Engelhart CTP (formerly known as BTG Pactual Commodities) on granting commodity facilities to Moldova’s largest cereals producer and exporter for its production and export operations. Total value of the loans exceeds USD 120 million;
- advised one of the largest Turkish Agro-businesses on entering into a sale and purchase agreement with the largest Moldovan cereal producer and exporter. The advice included the review and revision of the sale and purchase agreement, drafting the pledge on shares agreement to be entered into by the client and the seller of the agricultural products, its negotiation, execution and registration with the relevant Moldovan registries, together with drafting the relevant legal opinion;\
- advised one of the largest Moldovan financial institution, as special project counsel, on a variety of legal matters regarding external financings and projects (value in the Euro 100’s of millions);
- assisted a leading Moldovan commercial bank on drafting its new standard lending documentation with the goal of aligning the documentation to international standards while maintaining legal compliance locally;
- assisted the largest Romanian bank on its acquisition of a leading Moldovan bank.
- advised a large international holding on acquisition of the largest teleshopping network in Moldova, including leading the local due diligence team. Work included analyzing issues of “permissive acts,” advising on merger documentation and assistance in negotiations with state authorities;
- assisted largest Romanian mass-media holding on its expansion to the Moldovan market, including its incorporation and regulatory compliance (registration with the state authorities, obtaining authorizations, competition issues and so on);
- advised and assisted a leading US consulting company on its expansion to Moldova, including state registration of its Rep office and general compliance and regulatory issues as well as assisting post-project with the voluntary liquidation of its local operations;
- advised a leading international IT company with respect to an internal investigation for fraud, including establishing the internal investigation commission and assisting the client with the termination of the relevant senior management of the local subsidiary;
- author of the Moldovan chapter for IP issues for Wolters & Kluwer, including addressing IP issues in Transnistrian, Moldova’s breakaway region.
- assisted the world’s leading premium drinks company with labeling requirements for its premium vodka in Moldova as well as preforming reviews and due diligences on a number of potential local distributors;
- advised one of the largest Ukrainian manufacturers of juices and non-alcoholic drinks with merger requirements concerning their Moldovan operations, including performing IP due diligence reviews on the status of its trademarks in Moldova;
- assisted a world leading drug and consumer products makers with its regulatory and contract matters for their Moldovan operations, including the analysis of the procedure of importation, registration and sale of their products;
- advised one of the world’s largest tobacco companies with the review and analysis of new Moldovan legislation on the sale of tobacco products, the potential regulatory impact on their activity and the relevant steps/procedures to be taken/implemented;
- advised a top 3 European retailer on its entry into the Moldovan market, including corporate and regulatory issues.
- assisted Orange France, as a local team member, on acquisition of the largest Moldovan telecommunication company, including DD work and advising on all aspects of the transactional documents. This was the largest M&A deal of 2017 and one of the largest deals of its kind in Moldovan history;
- acted as local advisor for AT&T in relation to the purchase of a local entity, including leading the due diligence efforts and advising on various corporate and structural issues;
- assisted with the acquisition of the Moldova’s second largest pharmaceutical company, including advising on corporate and regulatory matters. The transaction involved entering into two separate agreements, i.e. Framework Agreement governed by and construed under the provisions English law and, respectively, a Shares Purchase Agreement governed by and construed under the provisions of Moldovan law.
- LL.B., Moldova State University, Chisinau, Moldova
- LL.M., Moldova Academy for Public Administration
2011 (Moldovan Bar)